The River Valley Alliance was formed in 1996 by the seven municipalities bordering the Capital Region’s North Saskatchewan River: Town of Devon, Parkland County, Leduc County, City of Edmonton, Strathcona County, Sturgeon County and City of Fort Saskatchewan. RVA was incorporated as a not for profit company under Part Nine of the Companies Act of Alberta on March 5, 2003. The seven municipalities bordering the North Saskatchewan River Valley are the company’s founding shareholders. more
River Valley Alliance released its conceptual Plan of Action in 2008 after extensive public and stakeholder consultation. It has raised more than $80 million to implement the first initiatives within the plan ($50 million from the Alberta Government and $30 million from Government of Canada), which will be supplemented by $30 million funding from the shareholder municipalities. Some projects were completed by 2012, and $90 million is allocated to the 2012-16 Capital Project.
Founding of the RVA
The River Valley Alliance was formed in June 1996 and incorporated in 2003. It is a non-profit company governed by a board of directors, and now has registered charity status. The story of its beginnings is captured in Founding of the RVA.
Frederick Gage Todd
The concept of a preserved river valley park was first presented to the City of Edmonton in 1907 by landscape architect Frederick Gage Todd.
Gold Bar Park Monument
The Government of Alberta has also contributed to the development of the capital region river valley over the years. Wording on a plaque at Gold Bar Park in Edmonton recognizes the contribution of past Premier Peter Lougheed and his government.